Friday, October 8, 2010

"No Juicy Tacos!"

If you follow this blog, you have probably already seen this stuff on Facebook, but I couldn't help myself. This movie needs to be known.
Here's the story:
There is this thing called the Lost Media Archive. I can't find the website right now, but I will update it when I can get to it.
Shannon goes sometimes because she is cool like that and has unique friends. So anyway, it's a group that collects old and out-of-print things. Like things that you have never, ever heard of. Last night was the showing of this movie, The Wonderful Ice Cream Suit.
BEST. MOVIE. EVER.
Ray Bradbury, the author of Fahrenheit 451 and who is most well-known for his suspense/sci fi stuff, wrote this screenplay. It was actually a short story of his and it has actually been turned into a musical. A musical that still plays, like on stage. I am constantly amazed by what I don't know.
I can't believe I lived my whole life without this gem!
It was a slight shock to me to see someone who knew more obscure stuff than me. I'm usually the one showing people true film treasures. If The Shoe Fits, anyone? Who can forget Rob Lowe, Jennifer Grey, France, 80's fashion? It's the best. Apparently, it's hard to find online too, so I can't show you a picture. Boo. But if you are interested, give me a holler and we will watch it. I am only too happy to oblige (I have a VHS, yes, I am that cool).
Anyways, back to the Wonderful Ice Cream Suit!
It's about five Latino men in East LA who are down on their luck in various ways. They all come together and pitch in 20 bucks and buy a fantastic electric white suit.
Like, burn your retinas white.
...I can still see the suit dancing in front of my eyes...
Anyways, each of the men share the suit for one hour and each of their wildest dreams come true, thanks to the suit. Kind of like the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants but BETTER.
There is mariachi music, Latin accents (in various degrees of awfulness) and superb quotable lines, i.e. the title of this here post. It's like, gooood stuff. If you manage to get your hands on it, again, give me a holler and we will have a party. There is nothing like good Latin movies and 80's.
Gosh. I love the 80's.

No comments:

Post a Comment