Monday, November 22, 2010

#BooksWithBeddes: The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman


So for my Literature for Adolescents class, I've been reading like a madwoman. (Sorry Goodreads friends...) Anyways, I had heard a lot from various people and professors that The Graveyard Book was a good read. At first, I wasn't sure I believed them. I tend to be a coward when it comes to reading material and anything the least bit scary or suspenseful I avoid. But I was intrigued. So I picked up this little jewel of a book yesterday and basically devoured it. SO GOOD.

There is a reason why it won the 2009 Newbery Medal and the 2010 Carnegie Medal.

Neil Gaiman wrote Coraline and Stardust and Mirrormask, so if you are familiar with any of those titles, you have a pretty good idea of how imaginative his is. His craftsmanship is supremely evident in this book. The sentences are just gorgeous! I know that may seem like a strange way of describing a book, but I can't think of any other way which emphasizes my love of this book.

The story is very similar to The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling, in the sense that a boy is orphaned and brought up in unique circumstances. Nobody Owens, as the boy is called, is raised by a graveyard full of ghosts, after his family is murdered when he was just a baby. The graveyard and its residents protect him from the murderers who want to finish the job, but they can't protect him forever. Bod grows up and faces his fate.

It's a suspenseful tale that kept me turning the page frantically and annoying my roommates with my agonized gasps. I definitely recommend it to anyone willing to take a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment