Monday, March 28, 2011

"Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Ladies and Gents,

It's getting closer! Today, I bought my ticket to Norway. So soon, I will be flying away from here to more exotic locales. Oh, I'm nervous! But so excited. [[[That is 17 hours of flying.]]] Luckily, I will have some finals to be grading, so it shouldn't be too boring waiting to go from one airport to another.

However, there is so many rules, regulations, exceptions and loopholes;  it's a miracle that people actually get anywhere. I will be crossing the Atlantic Ocean, which now that I think of it, will be a first. I have only ever seen the Pacific. Let's be honest though, this trip is going to be full of firsts.

Sometimes, I go to bed thinking of Norwegian phrases that I might have to use. Which, you know, is fun, but it sure makes my dreams very strange when I fall asleep with half-English, half-Norwegian sentences floating through my head. We had a lady from Norway come speak to our study abroad prep class last week. She let us know what to pack, what to expect, what food to look for.

Apparently, there is a LOT of cheese and other dairy products. And there isn't a whole lot by the way of spicy food. Norwegians are a very "salt and pepper" type of people. This works for me. Despite of my Latino heritage, I'm the one that can't handle anything hotter than extra mild salsa. But bread, cheese, milk and potatoes? Sure thing! Maybe next time I travel, I will try a location with a bit more extreme foodstuffs. Maybe.

Oh, speaking of food and travel: I am currently reading Eat, Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert. [I haven't seen the movie yet.] There are three parts of the book, and I have only gotten through Part 1: Italy.


                Oh my goodness.

I have never been more hungry or jealous reading a book before in my entire life. The book is about Gilbert and the year she spent in Italy, India and Indonesia to find herself and to rebuild her soul. She spent four months in Italy, learning Italian and eating.

SO MUCH GOOD FOOD.

Every couple of pages, she tries to describe indescribable dishes. She finds these little hidden eateries that have no name but all the locals go there and every time its almost a spiritual experience with the food. Which, you know happens. Really good food and good company to share it with? It's one of the best feelings in the world; it's pure joy. I am constantly amazed at how many combinations of flavors, textures and ingredients that go into the recipes of the world. It's a cause for celebration, knowing that you could never eat the same thing twice, changing the recipe with a slight flick of the wrist.

Ok. So besides my impromptu ode to food, this post is dedicated to travel. Be assured, I will keep this blog up-to-date with all my adventures.

Where'er they be found.

No comments:

Post a Comment